Day of the Dead World Event Guide
The Day of the Dead is a small holiday where people remember and honor their departed loved ones and companions. Graves and gravesites are ornamented with flowers and offerings for the spirits.
Can you feel it?
The spirit world draws close during the Day of the Dead.
This is why we decorate the graves of our dearly departed with flowers and candles and offerings: To welcome them back, even if only for a time.
So come! Dance with me!
Let us cherish and honor those we have lost in their ghostly presence, so that they might eat and drink and smile and know that they are loved. – Catrina
When: November 1-3
Where: Graveyards of all Capital Cities
Don’t wait for your invitation to arrive and /dance with Catrina to take the form of a skeleton and earn the achievement https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=3456/dead-mans-party.
A little https://www.wowhead.com/item=46691/bread-of-the-dead can go a long way to restoring your health, so make sure to purchase the recipe from Chapman, who can also be found in Dalaran in the Broken Isles. He’s got a few other goodies that you can purchase to make it a truly festive holiday, so be sure to speak to him to see his wares.
You could be a contender and earn the achievement - https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9426/to-the-afterlife - during this holiday by defeating a contender while wearing a contender’s outfit purchased during Day of the Dead.
During this 2-day holiday there will be a small number of collectibles to be earned, which we have highlighted below.
- https://www.wowhead.com/item=46831/macabre-marionette: Reward from the quest https://www.wowhead.com/quest=14166/the-grateful-dead from Dalaran, Shattrath, or your race's capital city.
You can purchase the following toys from https://www.wowhead.com/npc=34382 in any of the capital cities near the graveyard.
These costumes allow you to use one of 3 random combat abilities against other people who are wearing one too, and complete some achievements.
- https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=3456/dead-mans-party: Use the /dance emote on https://www.wowhead.com/npc=34383/catrina, an NPC located near the graveyard in capital cities. You will get the achievement and a buff, https://www.wowhead.com/spell=65386/honor-the-dead which transforms you into an undead in ceremonial dress.
- https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9426/to-the-afterlife, https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9427/vientos and https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9428/calavera is a progressive, 3-step achievement. You have to defeat 1, 20 and 50 contenders respectively while wearing one of the contender's costumes listed above. While wearing the costume, you will get a clickable Extra Action Button with one of three different abilities, at random. This ability will be rerolled everytime you use it, providing you with one of the three abilities at random again: https://www.wowhead.com/spell=172057/quick-punch, https://www.wowhead.com/spell=172602/strong-sweep#see-also-other, https://www.wowhead.com/spell=172603/jump-attack. You don't need to be in a duel, or even kill the opponent to get credit for the achievement. At low HP, you or your opponent will automatically surrender and give credit towards the achievement. You can also use the toys and complete those 3 achievements ater Day of the Dead is over.
- https://www.wowhead.com/item=46861/bouquet-of-orange-marigolds: A bouquet of flowers you can transmogrify into your off-hand held item, only during the holiday.
- https://www.wowhead.com/item=46860/whimsical-skull-mask#comments: A skull mask you can transmogrify over your helmet, only during the holilday.
- https://www.wowhead.com/item=46710/recipe-bread-of-the-dead: Sold by https://www.wowhead.com/npc=34382 in any of the capital cities near the graveyard. Teaches you how to bake https://www.wowhead.com/spell=65454/bread-of-the-dead using 1 https://www.wowhead.com/item=30817/simple-flour and 1 https://www.wowhead.com/item=1179/ice-cold-milk. You can only bake it during the Day of the Dead, and you have to use a Ghostly Cooking Fire, near the vendor.