With this guide we will be looking at the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph which was added in Legion. The model for this mount was present in the game for many years and was highly requested by players for a very long time. We will cover everything from timers, to general info, tips, tricks and more!
- This mount is obtained by clicking 5 https://www.wowhead.com/object=251168/ephemeral-crystals located around Azsuna, these crystals will spawn in out of sight places and sometimes in the open.
- Only one player can obtain this mount.
- The crystals can be seen from a very far distance (400yd).
- Clicking the crystal gives you an invisible buff, when you die you will lose this buff and have to go back and click the crystals you already clicked.
- The mount will automatically go into your bags when the 5th crystal is clicked.
- Legion Invasions have no known impact on the spawning or presence of the crystals.
- The crystals spawn randomly in 98 known locations, and they stay up infinitely until clicked or the weekly server restart.
- WoW Secret Finding has noted that there is two spawn patterns, both of which share the same spawns however the mount will be acquired a little differently. One spawning pattern will only spawn a single crystal and it'll have to be clicked before more crystals will spawn. The other, more frequent spawning pattern will have all of the crystals spawn at once.
- When someone clicks all 5 crystals you will see a zone-wide emote in the chat that says...
"You hear a faint caw in the distance and then silence..."
The https://www.wowhead.com/object=251168/ephemeral-crystals can be seen from quite far away, once you're close to them and you click them your character will receive a purple rune effect and you'll get an invisible buff.
Below is a coordinate list compiled by the community, this is frequently updated and maintained by the WoW Secret Finding community.
To input these coordinates you'll need two addons. Paste and TomTom, once you have both of these you can input the coordinates through the paste box (the button will be found on your minimap)
Links for these addons are at the bottom of this guide!
Tips & Tricks
It's a good idea to keep track of where each crystal is! I've seen people use a variety of strategies to keep track of them.
- Adding the coordinate of the crystal you found to TomTom.
- Writing the coordinate down in Notepad or Wordpad.
- Placing world markers on each crystal location (make sure to use different ones!).
The reason why we keep track of the crystals is that in the case you die or you have to log off, you can return later and click the crystals if they haven't already been claimed.
It's a good idea to look for crystals on your server a few hours after the weekly server restarts. Since they have a 2-8 hours spawn window it'll be a lot easier to find them early in the morning when you know you're guaranteed a spawn after a few hours!
Furthermore, the respawn window begins whenever the emote for the crystals being claimed go out, so in the event of them being claimed, it's a good idea to come back after a few hours to see if they are back up.
If you're having trouble finding the last few crystals, and your friend (from another server or CRZ) has also found some crystals, they can phase you over by inviting you to their party to click the last few! This will still count towards your invisible buff and you'll be able to successfully claim your mount.
Having Legion Flying will make finding the crystals a lot easier, there is a lot of water and hills in Azsuna so being able to traverse them quickly will help you greatly.
Below is a few extra resources to help you with obtaining your mount!
Ephemeral Crystal Album
Red = Overworld
White = Cave
Blue = Underwater
Please click the image below for the full album.
Hi! I'm Tink. I wrote this article, I'm a staff member on the WoW Secrets Discord and author of several guides for the community there. We've made a lot of discoveries across Legion, with both secrets & mounts! On our Discord we give away dozens of rare spawns everyday, come say hi and join us on your mount hunting adventures! We're looking forward to Battle for Azeroth and the secrets that it brings with it!
Join us at WoW Secret Finding!
- WoW Secrets Contributor Team